Thursday, March 26, 2009

Thoughts on Next Year (revisiting SOTW & Sonlight)...

If you've followed this blog for long, you know that I'm constantly planning. It's a disease that I can't shake! The thing is my time is very short these days and I'm realizing that I will not be able to plan out every subject next year. I was very seriously considering using Story of the World 2 next year and planning out my own reading, read-aloud and language arts program along with arranging history and math. Plus I would still have to plan out the extras. The reality is that I don't have access to a library and I don't have the time to pull together all those plans (you know I wouldn't be happy with mear schedules for reading). The biggest problem is that I would want my plans to have what Sonlight's plans have.

I'm realizing that Sonlight is what I really want and need at this time. They have pre-read the books, organized them and adding questions, vocabulary and so much more. It's much easier for me to tweak Sonlight by adding maps and a few hands on activities than for me to write everything from scratch. So we will be using Core 2 next year, which is a good thing because I already have the guide!

I'm very glad that we did the Story of the World and Sonlight combo this year because it helped me to see what is important to me and what I want to have as a part of our day. I love Story of the World and the activity guide, but I love all that Sonlight has to offer. It's the good books and the whole package that keeps me going back. I'm probably going to end up writing my own language arts to go with Core 2 using the Aesop fables they have planned. And I will continue to plan out our extras, but that doesn't take too long. You didn't think I'd give up all planning, did you?

When I get everything set, I'll do a what we are doing next year post for those that are interested!

2 comments:

Luke Holzmann said...

May you come up with the perfect fit for you and your family, however it ends up looking and no matter how much planning you do yourself [smile].

~Luke

Rhonda said...

It sounds like you have a good plan going on Paige! I seem to be endlessly planning also-I just can't help myself.
I hope you are all doing very well. I think about you all so much.