Monday, February 9, 2009

Outdoor Hour Challenge #41-Mushroom Focus

We are back to doing our weekly nature study! This challenge was for ferns and mushroom, we chose to focus on mushrooms. The challenge was to go out in the forest and see what you find. Since there is no forest nearby in our new home, we decided to seek out mushrooms at our local market. It's a five minute walk from our place and it's outside, that counts as nature study, right? Here's what we found...
We bought alittle of each variety to take home for further study. Once we got home, we talked about the different shapes and identified the parts we could. We talked about how and where mushrooms grow. Then we cut a few up to see what they looked like inside. Here's a look at our variety...
We then took some time to make entries into our journals and try our hand at watercolor painting. Here's a look at the journal entries...

I'm pleased that we were able to complete this challenge in our new urban environment. I know that it will take some effort on my part to rework some of the challenges that Barb has provided, but I know that it's worth it. Nature study has been such a wonderful addition to our week and I plan to continue it, no matter where we live.

1 comment:

Barb said...

Hi Paige!

I love that you took the initiative and got such a huge variety of mushrooms to look at. I have come to love fungus in all its shapes and colors.

I hope to see your next entry soon.

Barb-Harmony Art Mom