Monday, September 8, 2008

Education of Me update

I thought I'd begin by saying that this time has been worth it! We are in our 4th week of studying Egypt and I was able to add so much because of what I've read. When princess had a question about something for the most part I was able to answer it. I wouldn't have had the answers if I had not being doing this project. Self-education works! Ok, so back to the report...

What I did last week...
  1. I read Siddhartha. Not my favorite book and definately not appropriate for my child at this point, maybe in highschool, but honestly, I don't think that I will every expect her to read this. It did however give me some insight into Buddhism and make me very happy that I no longer have to search for truth and meaning in my life!
What I'm going to do this week...
  1. Since I have no experience with the Iliad and the big books scares me, I'm going to read an easier children's version first. It's the Kingfisher's Epic Series version of the Iliad. Once I finish that, hopefully this week, I will tackle the big, scary version(it's 600 pages!).

5 comments:

Rhonda said...

Paige:
I enjoy your blog and I love the Education of Me entries.
I have an award for you if you would like to accept it. Pop over to my blog to get it.
~Rhonda

Anonymous said...

I have to laugh. I read Siddhartha this summer planning to use it with my 14 year old nephew. When I saw your post earlier that you planned to read it I had to wonder what your reaction would be. I also decided it isn't appropriate at this point and probably never. I also agree with the rest of your comments about it. Maybe Connor will read it on his own in 10 years.
I am also getting ready to embark on the real thing with the Iliad. I read Blacks Ships before Troy by Rosemary Sutcliff a few weeks ago so I have the basic story. Now on to the real thing spread across many more pages!
Happy studying!

Paige said...

Thanks Rhonda! I'm going to pop on over there.

Anonymous said...

Hi Paige! Decided to click on your blog link off of your signature line over at HOOville. What a great site you have. Will make this one of my websites that I check daily.
Oh, and It's OKBound, soon to be OKGal, aka Cheryl. I signed it officially anonymous since I didn't want to fool with making an account.
Iliad scares me too. Look forward to seeing what you think about the more tame version. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Good for you for tackling all this literature! I'm starting to feel like I missed out last year because I didn't read anything more than the children's versions of anything. We did read both Black Ships before Troy and the Wanderings of Odysseus by Sutcliff which were great, I thought. Next history go around I want to tackle the real things. I'm enjoying my medieval lit right now though.