Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Long Way Home by Ishmael Beah

The Long Way Home is a biography of a boy who lives in Sierra Leone during war times. He is forced to be a soldier and then rescued and rehabilitated. (My two sentence summary :-)!) This is a great book for understanding what went on in Sierra Leone at that time. Beah writes in an easy to read conversational style. It gets alittle gory at times, but I get the feeling that he didn't write all of what he saw. There were sections of the book when I had a hard time reading, but overall I liked the book. It was very informative and left me wanting to know more about child soldiers. I reccommend that you read this book if you don't have a sensitive stomach and want to learn more about the plight of children around the world.

No comments: