Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Project: Coat of Arms

I've been looking forward to doing this project since I got my plans together last year! I know it's sad, but I remember making coat of arms in school and loved it, so much so that I made many more on my own at home. So I was sure to participate in this project!


We started out by looking at some different coat of arms on google pics. That way princess could get an idea of what they looked like. We then decided how we wanted to divide our fields on the shield template from the SOTW activity pages. (As a side note, I recently downloaded the activity pages from Peace Hill Press and I'm kicking myself for not getting the activity guide this year. We loved it last year, but I thought I could pull it together on my own, wrong-get the activity guide, it's worth the money!) Anyways here's princess drawing her fields...
We then chose a symbol to go in the center of our shield. You could choose an animal, a man-made object (like a castle) or something from nature. We decided to go with animals. Princess chose a rabbit; I chose a turtle, great mascot, I know. We colored and cut out our animals.
Next we chose our colors, You are suppose to choose one metal (gold, silver or copper) and a color or colors for the coat of arms. Since we didn't have any metallic crayons or paint, we decided that the yellow colored pencil would be our gold. I opted for one additional color, princess opted for a few more...
We pasted our symbol in the middle of our shield. Then we chose a brief motto and wrote it under our shield. Here are the finished products...
We really enjoyed this project. Princess even went on to make another shield later that day. Gotta love when learning is fun!

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

What a wonderful and fun project for BOTH of you!!
Yes, I love it when learning is fun. :)
I also love what you've done with your header and your blog button-they look great.
I've been fiddling around with trying to make a blog button but so far don't have it exactly right. I'll have to work on it some more.