Saturday, October 10, 2009

Weekly Report-Week 9

Ok, so there are no pictures from this week, but we did get Shakespeare done :). Here's a look at our week...

Language Arts-Princess finished reading Little Pear this week and I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to assign her for next week, oh well :). We finished read White Stallions of Lipizza and I was surprised at how much princess loved this book! She now rides her own White Stallion around the house and it's teaching her to ride properly, absolutely hilarious! We also completed a week of Writing with Ease and Dictation Day by Day.

Math-We spent the first half of the week reviewing the first half of the 2B book and then princess took a mid-book test. She passed with flying colors, so that means that we kept moving. We finished out the week with learning fractions. Princess has declared that this is her new favorite math concept! I have a feeling that will change when we get around to graphs again :).

Science-We spent the week with Uranus. Princess was quite perturbed when we added it to our wall model of the Solar System because she feels it's too far away from the other planets. I explained that's because it really is that far away. To which she replied, Ok, but it's probably pretty lonely. Just wait till we get to Pluto :)!

History-We spent the week in the East. We read about Japan, Korea, Australia and New Zealand. I have to admit that alot of what we read about this week was totally new information to me. It also helped me to connect a few dots about Asian cultures. It's pretty cool to learn from your second graders curriculum :).

Other-We looked at another painting by Jan Van Eyck and listened to another piece by Corelli, who by the way is one of my favorite composers! I'm so glad that princess is enjoying him, but I have to say that neither of us are going to be big fans of medieval painting. We also got back to reading Lamb's Tales of Shakespeare "As You Like It". My plan of doing two plays a term is probably not going to happen, but we are enjoying reading through the play and I'm surprised how much princess remembered from the last time we read.

Education of Me-I finished reading Otto of the Silver Hand and I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. What a great book, it will definately be on our list for the next go around. I'm hoping to write a more in depth review later this week. Next up Piers Plowman, only because the idea of reading Dante right now doesn't sound so appealing :).

Hope you had a great week, see what others are up to at the Weekly Wrap-up.

3 comments:

Cheryl@SomewhatCrunchy said...

Poor lonely Uranus! That's so cute and thoughtful yo worry about it being lonely. But it has moons and stars for company :)

Fox studied the Eastern hemisphere last year. If you want reading suggestions, we liked Li Lun, The Kite Fighters and Born in the Year of Courage. Island of the Blue Dolphins was good too and may be geared more toward a girl.

Samantha said...

How sweet - I don't think I've ever thought of a planet as lonely, but it is pretty far out there!

Stefanie said...

White Stallions was such a good book. Did you know you can see video of them on you tube? Very cool!