Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Chicken Mummy

Yesterday we went to a friends house so that we could finish the chicken mummy project together. Here's what the chicken looked like after 6 weeks in the salt(changing it several times)...

I have to say that the smell of the salt was not the best, but once we cleaned him up, it was better. We coated the chicken with scented oil that we had made earlier. Then we started to wrap him. My friends daughter graciously offered up some of her old jewelry to use as amulets. We broke a cinnamon stick in half and put that in there too. Here's the final result...

All said and done, this was a fun project, but if I every get a chance to do it again, we are using an apple instead. There is something about rubbing oil on a dry shriveled up chicken that I just don't need to experience again. This project is truly a once in a lifetime project!

2 comments:

Rhonda said...

Wonderful project Paige and I am sure that your daughter will never forget it (neither will you!)
Yes, I would say though that that is one project that would only be done once around here too!! :)

Catherine said...

Great project! We mummified apples last year and the kids loved it. I can definitely see that mummifying a chicken is a once in a lifetime experience!
Catherine